How to Keep Your Pet Safe This Fall
Beware of these autumn dangers and keep your pet safe!
Watching a football game on television or celebrating Thanksgiving with family and friends isn’t complete without fall comfort foods. Chicken wings, dips, mashed potatoes, turkey — humans love them, but they can wreak havoc on your pet’s stomach and cause vomiting, diarrhea, and pancreatitis. Keep human foods out of reach, including anything that can cause choking, like corncobs, kabob skewers, and food with bones.
Piles of leaves in your backyard and composting bins are the perfect breeding ground for mold. This decaying matter can contain mycotoxins, which can cause tremors or seizures if your pet ingests them. Keep your yard clean and composting bins securely closed to ensure your pet’s safety.
Wild mushrooms are in abundance during the fall months. While most are non-toxic, it’s best to keep your pet away from all types. Ingesting the wrong kind can result in vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, and organ damage. Check your yard for mushrooms before letting your pet out, and keep an eye out for them when on a walk with your furry friend.
Mice and rats like to take refuge in warm places when temperatures drop. If you use rodenticides around your house to control these critters, be sure your dog or cat can’t get into them — they’re highly toxic and can be deadly. Place them on a high shelf or another spot that’s inaccessible to your pet, or use a non-poisonous method of pest control.
Antifreeze, which is typically used during the fall months to prepare a vehicle for winter, has a sweet taste, making it appealing to dogs and cats. Keep antifreeze out of your pet’s reach and clean up any spills immediately. Even a small amount can be fatal.